The Environment Education Center of South Dakota (formerly Environmental Education Connections of South Dakota) is a center housed within the South Dakota Discovery Center for the purposes of promoting and disseminating education about the natural and human environment.
People who understand, value and steward a healthy natural environment.
The mission of the Environment Education Center of South Dakota is to build the capacity of the environmental education community within South Dakota.
- Utilize and model the most current resources, frameworks, and best practices to help agencies, organizations, groups and individuals deliver high quality, consistent and coordinated education.
- Participate in national, regional, state or local collaborations that bring funds, personnel, supplies or opportunities to the environment education community.
- Support the integration of environment education into state educational initiatives and outreach plans of agencies and organizations.
- Promote the development of community assets that facilitate environment education.
- Connect the environmental education community with each other.
- Expand and extend environmental education resources available within the state.
The goal of the Environment Education Center of South Dakota (the Center) is to educate every South Dakota citizen about the environment. The purpose of the Center is education, not advocacy and subscribes to the following values:
- Environment education is age and developmental stage appropriate.
- Environment education utilizes the best, most widely accepted science about the environment.
- Environment education includes multiple view points and perspectives.
- Environment education seeks to involve the participation and input from families and communities.
- Environment education utilizes experiential, hands-on pedagogy.
- Environment education is inclusive and equitable.
805 W Sioux Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501